Coffee has been supplied in bags for decades, but the demand for coffee pods that supply dry-ground coffee is increasing exponentially. Customers for both coffee supplied in bags, and coffee pods and k-cups range from retailers to hotels and a wide range of businesses in the hospitality industry.
Coffee Pods and K-Cups
Although totally different to tea bags, coffee pods are often referred to as the coffee-making equivalent of tea bags. The similarity is that both coffee pods and tea bags enable users to make a single portion of either coffee or tea with milk and/or hot or boiling water. There are various companies that make coffee pods, but generally, they comprise small plastic or aluminum containers that have a foil lid.
K-cups – which were originally trademarked by Keurig Green Mountain – also provide single portions of coffee (and other beverages), but unlike coffee pods, they are sealed in a cartridge that has a foil lid or is produced in a plastic cup of sorts.
Both require compatible brewing machinery that basically punctures the pod or k-cup and then brews the dry-ground coffee in hot water.
Packaging Coffee For Different Needs
Coffee is a huge industry and there is coffee packaging equipment that meets a multitude of needs. These range from machines that package dry-ground coffee in standup bags to those that are able to package coffee pods and k-cups.
There are various machines that handle the production and packaging of coffee pods and k-cups including automated equipment that fills and seals. Of course, the overall output will depend on the equipment chosen, but k-cup machines might range from as little as 25 to 100 cups a minute to up to 320 or more cups a minute, maybe more.
Similarly, coffee capsule filling and packaging equipment varies in terms of required volumes.
Equipment From Technik Packaging
A leading packaging equipment dealer, Technik Packaging is an industry leader when it comes to weighing equipment, cartoning, and vertical and horizontal bagging. The company has extensive experience in a number of industries including coffee and specializes in both coffee bagging and coffee pod packaging.
Technik Packaging Machinery’s equipment is manufactured in Germany and other parts of Europe and the US-based company provides full support for customers. We also have a spare parts warehouse that is fully stocked. Suitable equipment for packaging coffee includes:
- Triapex HV2D, a horizontal conveyor system that uses premium standup bags
- Triapex HU, a compact solution that is perfect for granular solutions and is available in both multi- and single-lanes versions
- Triapex HV2 that can pack coffee various types of bags whether pillow, flat-bottomed or gusseted
- The fully servo-powered Triapex HV3 that can pack a lot more than the Triapex HV2
- Triapex HV4 that caters for even larger bag sizes
- Triapex HNXB that is a high-performance solution for small pillow bags and can be configured in up to 16 lanes
- Triapex MS1 that is perfect for volumetric filling of granular coffee
- Triapex DVK, recognized as a cost-effective machine that has multiple heads to dose granular products like coffee
- Triapex DDXA that is used to dose granular products precisely and is ideal for multilane packaging machines
- The automated Dienst HE case packer that packs finished items into corrugated cases that can be sorted or stacked
- The fully automated Dienst HE Compact machine that is used to pack products into tray-and-lid outer packaging prior to sorting and stacking
- Dienst HE Wrap Around used to package the primary package
- Various transfer systems that are used for collating and synchronization, enabling sorting and stacking
- Pick and place systems for packaged products that need to be collated and top-loaded into containers
If you are looking for equipment for coffee bagging and/or coffee pod production please don’t hesitate to contact us for more information. We will help you pinpoint the best packaging equipment to meet your coffee production needs. Thereafter, we are able to support you throughout your company’s sales cycle and also have US-based factory-trained technicians and spare parts for all our machines and equipment.